FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wave Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Alberta River Surfing Assocation Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Negs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Wave Building Reply with quote

Just responding to 85fastlane. The best example of surfers building a wave is in this video at the 5:58 mark. If you want more information just ask away.

Negs
85fastlane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's super helpful. Do you think an underwater bank of rocks would work? Or does it need to be smoother? This would be in a spot that gets a lot of public use so I'm not sure I'd want to leave the ramp in, and I imagine taking it out is next to suicide. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Last edited by 85fastlane on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Negs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem is that anything you can pile into the river by hand to make a wave will be moved by the river and then will be very difficult to move. Spent many, many hours trying to make waves with rocks by hand and it is not likely to succeed. The best use of hand piled rocks is to direct water towards the wave or to create pools to chill in.

The ramps can be installed and removed. The biggest danger appears to be ropes. The ramp works well because when the ropes on the ramp become tight the flowing water forces the ramp to the bottom of the river. To remove the ramp you can loosen the ropes and pull it out. When you loosen the ropes the ramp may start moving downstream.

The river is very powerful and will put a lot of force on the ropes/chains so they need to be strong. The ramp in the video you saw eventually snapped in half.

Since you can remove the ramp you can try different designs and leave no trace. We built the frame for a 3' high and 12' long triangular ramp and, when covered, the ramp will be pretty heavy. You may want to hide the ramp near the wave site.

There are more issues with sinking a ramp in a river but those some basics. Just to cover my ass here, installing a ramp in a moving river could be dangerous, these are suggestions not safe instructions and you are fully responsible for your own safety.

I think ramps are a simple yet cutting edge idea that has the potential to bring river surfing everywhere. Keep me posted on what happens and let me know if you want more info.

Negs
85fastlane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Rocks have already been used to narrow that portion of the river to speed up the flow very effectively. I will work out a way to get a ramp in the water and somehow anchor it. I understand how the ramp slope keeps it forced to the bottom of the river, just needs to be held from going downstream. Awesome. I'm excited to try it. Just so I'm more likely to get success on my first attempt, can you help me with a couple design details? As I mentioned earlier the river is not that deep. Is a 2 ft ramp sufficient to create a wave? Also, the video shows a ramp shaped like /| (a little steep yeah, limited resources on a keyboard here). Is that the way to build it? With a ramp and a sudden drop? Or better like /\, with a slope on both sides?

Thanks so much so far, can't wait to put some ideas into practice. I'll provide photo and video documentation as I play with this river a bit.

Cheers!
Negs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two foot ramp could create a wave but I can't help much with which ramp style to choose, I'd try both. Waves can form in front of the ramp, like the Eisbach in Munich, or behind the ramp like the video you saw. You will want to be able to adjust the angle of your ramp so think about that when you build it.

I would suggest the following:
- Holes close to the bottom of the ramp to allow water to enter once you put it in the river.
- Small holes close to the top of the ramp on the back side to allow air to escape one it submerges
- Make sure there is nothing for a body part or leash to catch on once the ramp is submerged as that could be lethal or cause serious injury
- Use static rope (does not stretch) or chains. Stretchy ropes can result in the ramp flying back at you.
- Attach the main anchor ropes through the frame of the ramp at the upstream bottom corners

You might find the following info useful:

Post with measurements from the Eisbach wave

Post about our wave ramp attempt

This sounds like a wicked project.

Negs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Alberta River Surfing Assocation Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: